The Executive Program
May 2019 – October 2019
Location : DARDEN CAMPUS (US)
Program Fee : USD 39,950
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone (USA) : +1-877-833-3974
Phone (India) : +91 8587878713 / 14 / 15
Today’s leaders face challenges and meet with opportunities that almost always extend beyond the organizational context, across industries and are influenced by events around the world. Confronting and dealing with these challenges and embracing these opportunities requires a strategic perspective, informed judgment, a global vision for what’s possible and an influential network that cares and supports your ambition.
Prepare yourself for the VUCA world by immersing yourself in the Darden TEP (The Executive Program), developed for senior executives and business leaders with advanced management experience and a global mandate. TEP provides a platform for top executives from around the world to come together and explore existing and emerging challenges and craft impactful solutions, helping them lead their organization in today’s complex, global marketplace. TEP offers a global leadership experience like no other, a complete immersion into the principles, habits and perspectives of transformational leaders and aims to equip and energize you to explore your full leadership potential so that you can lead your organization towards deserved and sustainable success.
Upon completion of TEP, you will join the elite Darden School of Business Alumni Network and gain exclusive access to our resources that facilitate lifelong learning, growth, and success. Following are some of the key benefits
- Join 15,000+ alumni of Darden including 4000+ alumni of TEP, whose sense of commitment, camaraderie and connection is globally recognized.
- A lifelong Darden email forwarding address – this does not expire ever.
- Inclusion in the Darden School of Business alumni directory and the University of Virginia alumni directory.
- Access to the Darden Alumni Career Services online toolkit including Alumni Job Boards.
- Free access to Darden’s case collection.
- Access to monthly webinars with faculty.
- Receive The Darden Report magazine (bi-annually), print magazine mailed to U.S. alumni and digital issue emailed to alumni outside of the U.S.
- Invitation to Alumni chapter events around the world (excluding admissions/MBA alumni specific receptions).
- 25% discount on all Darden executive education short programs.
- Receive Darden Alumni newsletters and updates from the School.
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business delivers the world’s best business education experience to prepare entrepreneurial, global and responsible leaders through its MBA, Ph.D. and Executive Education programs. Darden’s top-ranked faculty is renowned for teaching excellence and advances practical business knowledge through research.
Darden was established in 1955 at the University of Virginia, a “Public Ivy” (ranked No. 1, 2 or 3 public university in US for decades) university founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Countries with Darden Alumni
Alumni span the globe
Education experience in the world
(The Economist, 2011–18)
(The Princeton Review, 2017; Financial Times, 2014–18)
General Management Program
(Financial Times, 2012–18)
(Financial Times, 2015–18)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Darden TEP attracts accomplished senior leaders, both senior executives from enterprises as well as business owners and entrepreneurs. Of the more than 4,000 executives who have graduated from this program, many represent Fortune 100 companies. Their diverse industries include aerospace, consumer services, banking/finance, consulting, defense contractors, insurance, mining, nonprofit, oil, telecom, bio/pharma, chemical, construction and defense forces.
Participants in The Executive Program are selected for their outstanding leadership capabilities. As you share perspectives in the classroom, you will gain insights that will provide more breadth and depth to your own point of view.
We welcome applications from participants with
- Significant experience and demonstrated career progression and success across levels, including
- CXO’s, Directors, Presidents, VP’s, etc.
- Managers of managers
- Senior functional managers and business heads
- Individuals with outstanding careers and leadership roles in a variety of settings
- Business owners and entrepreneurs
- A strong drive, ambition and belief that being the best within the organization is not enough, they have to be one of the few in the industry, leading and shaping it for the future.
- A minimum of 12+ years of experience in significant management roles
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
THE DARDEN TEP EXPERIENCE
Darden takes immense pride in TEP and has crafted this unique experience that is both immersive and collaborative but at the same time very personal for each participant. We bring the best of our faculty and engage in collaborative mentorship through the program where each participant is equally a mentor and a mentee, on a journey of personal transformation. Throughout this intense program, your TEP journey will be a shared one, connecting with engaged faculty as well as senior executives from diverse industries around the world. Our proven experiential approach focuses on the whole leader, to discover what inspires and drives you from the inside out and beyond. Because of Darden’s commitment to experiential learning, each session is contoured by every participant’s experience and organization, guided by faculty who prepare year-round for each session.
TEP’s extended learning journey includes both virtual and residential modules:
- Opening Online Module – Meet the TEP faculty, share your personal and organizational challenges and goals, and prepare for your TEP experience
- Residency Module – Hosted at both of Darden’s locations in Charlottesville and Rosslyn, this module brings to life the uniquely Darden experience of personal transformation in a 4-week immersive experience where participants live together with the faculty at the Inn, learning global leadership principles and practicing application through the living leadership lab
- Virtual Leadership Lab – Webinars and coaching sessions to help you implement new strategies and plans once you return to the office
The expanded program will provide more opportunities for participants to dig deeper into their specific challenges and opportunities, as well as take advantage of a variety of personal development and enrichment activities. Below are some of the reflections from past participants
Alumni share their reasons to select TEP, program experiences and key takeaways from this “life-changing” program.
Rare opportunity to step out of your regular life to learn, reflect and engage with a diverse group of people on the importance and responsibilities of leadership and how to create value where it matters most.
Kristen Hege (TEP ’16), CVP, Translational Development, Celgene
It’s a really holistic experience with faculty that teach together. It starts early in the morning, finishes at what time you want to leave at night, and there’s a social side to it, too. I just grabbed every bit of it.
Neal Garnett (TEP ’15), SVP, Construction Transport & Industrial, De Lage Landen
Recognized as the world’s best teaching faculty for executive education (Financial Times, 2014-2016), Darden TEP professors are experts in strategy, ethics, corporate finance, behavioral psychology and leadership, systems thinking, marketing strategy, and wellness, who work across their functional boundaries and show you how to do the same. But beyond that, they are mentors and coaches invested in your personal leadership journey and transformation during TEP and beyond. Meet the professors, leaders, and mentors, waiting to get your started on this journey
Managerial Psychology and Leadership
Horniman’s “Leading, Learning and Change” framework has inspired thousands of leaders to think differently about how they lead and influence others. His classes aim to heighten your self-awareness and help you better understand your strengths as an influencer and a leader. Horniman served in the U.S. Army and as a special consultant to U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara.
The Global Economy
Head of Darden’s Global Economies and Markets area, Beckenstein teaches executives about open-economy macroeconomics, policy tools and the politics associated with them, emerging markets and global investing. His courses look at the past, present and the future. He has been the leader of significant learning activities in the public and private sector in New Zealand for 20 years.
The Extended Enterprise
Fairchild is an expert in strategic management, business ethics, leadership and entrepreneurship. He specializes in underserved, overlooked markets and was recently the lead investigator in a study of business models and public policy issues in the field of community development finance, an initiative supported by a $850,000 grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
An internationally renowned scholar and educator in the field of entrepreneurship, “Venkat” teaches courses in strategy, entrepreneurship and ethics. He began his career as co-founder of a successful Indian technology spin-off. He consults with Fortune 500 firms and advises companies, universities and governments on strategy.
Loutskina’s research focuses on the impact of the securitization markets on the financial management of financial and non-financial corporations. She also specializes in the area of venture capital and innovation. Alongside numerous academic conferences, she has been invited to present her research at the Federal Reserve Bank, Federal Reserve Board, International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and Banque de France.
Thomas has led numerous executive education sessions in Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, including programs at Penn State, INSEAD and Georgia Institute of Technology as well as custom programs for Accenture, DuPont, ExxonMobil, IBM, Ingersoll-Rand, Mars, Office Depot, Parker-Hannifin, Pfizer, Schlumberger and the U.S. Marine Corps. He has testified as an expert witness and consulted for several large organizations on supply chain strategy including Accenture, CSL Behring, Dell, ExxonMobil and Lockheed Martin Aerospace Corporation.
JOLENE H. BODILY
Bodily’s “Sleep. Eat. Exercise. Rejuvenate.” framework helps executives enhance physical and mental energy, focus and stamina. Executive capacity, endurance and health are increased through coaching and practice tools designed for real life. A registered dietitian with a Master of Public Health, Bodily develops and delivers health, fitness and nutrition programs to private and corporate clients.
Whitler’s expertise is in marketing strategy with a focus on understanding how the board and C-level roles, characteristics, and decisions impact the firm’s marketing performance. Her professional career covers nearly 20 years in marketing and general management positions, including leadership and executive positions with organizations such as Procter & Gamble, David’s Bridal, Aurora Foods, and PetSmart.
The TEP curriculum is designed around three pillars of strategic leadership
- Think strategically, to develop a vision for your organization’s future.
- Lead strategically, to invite, include and inspire your team to turn vision into reality.
- Influence strategically, to nurture a sustainable culture that builds lasting results.
Through the program, you will analyze real-life business situations, ask the right questions and the tough questions, think and plan strategically and build solutions-sharpened by the perspective of colleagues and their executive leadership experience. Through case studies, simulations and group work, you will engage with and immerse yourself in scenarios not with academic 20/20 hindsight, but with the limited information available to the executives who first faced each issue and took difficultly but thought through decisions and focused on last mile execution to deliver outstanding results. You will identify a strategic challenge which would not only be strategic for the organization but also link closely with a personal executive capability for you, and develop a customized plan of action to launch upon your return.
By putting you in a position to engage with key issues across functional, enterprise and governance boundaries, you will develop the acumen to inspire change and drive innovation within yourself, your organization and beyond.
- Strategy and managing strategic choices
- Competitive positioning
- Understanding the Global economy, economic growth and growth metrics
- Driving Growth
- Leadership – influence and persuasion
- Leading Operational Excellence
- Creating Omnichannel Experiences
Disruption and Digital Transformation:
- Continous innovation and disruptive innovation
- Platform economy
- Entrepreneurial growth and launching new ventures
- Impact and applications of technology – IoT and Fintech
- Exponential Technologies – Crypto-currency and Blockchain
- Mergers and Acquisition
- Globalization: Discovering opportunities and managing challenges
- Managing risk
- Financial strategy
- Impact of disruptive forces
Strategic Visioning: Design the Future:
- Managing Culture
- Emerging market perspectives
- Inspirational Leadership
- Impact Investing
- Designing executive roles
- Creating corporate coherence and advantage
During the program, you will also improve your peak performance through a stamina-building wellness program that includes a course on cognitive fitness, structured exercise opportunities and a personalized wellness profile with risk ratings and recommendations for health improvement, so you can ensure that your physical, mental and psychological strengths serve you well during the program and the rest of your life.
Your transformation journey will continue off-campus during enrichment activities and workshops chosen by you and your peers. You will expand on classroom concepts with topics like design thinking, financial management, entrepreneurship, or government and politics.
WHAT YOU WILL TAKE BACK
You will walk away from Darden TEP with:
- A C-level enterprise perspective that integrates connections, patterns and key issues throughout your organization and industry to inform your systematic plans for business development
- Expanded influence and improved negotiation skills, including the ability to invite, include and inspire teams that balance autonomy and direction
- Techniques for managing individual and team energy during organizational evolution and change, including a personal learning strategy to continue your personal growth
- A detailed understanding of your company’s “value creation zone,” which pinpoints its ideal position in the marketplace
- A customized plan for moving the needle on a specific corporate challenge
- The shared expertise and support of a global network of senior executives and business leaders
- Stronger, smarter and more ethical decision-making skills
- Continued access to TEP faculty
TEP faculty and alumnus share key takeaways and impact of the program
Participants in Darden TEP represent a broad range of backgrounds in terms of industries, geographic locations, organizational size and professional responsibilities. The admissions committee takes into account a candidate’s organizational level; management experience, particularly in senior management roles; and future responsibilities.
Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential for the completion of course assignments and active engagement in fast-moving discussions. A telephone or personal interview also may be required as part of the admissions process.
The Admissions Committee begins reviewing applications as soon as they are received. Once the review process has begun, qualified candidates are admitted on a rolling, space-available basis. It is recommended that you apply early to the Darden TEP as space is limited. To apply online please click here.
|Application Round||Deadline Date|
|Round 1||Dec 16, 2018|
PROGRAM FEE & SCHEDULE
Program fee for TEP is $39,950. The Program fee for TEP includes tuition, study materials, lodging and most meals.
Darden TEP runs from May 2019 to Oct 2019. The program will open with an online welcome session in May. The residential module opens with a reception, followed by dinner at the Abbott Center dining room. Classes and events on the final day will conclude by noon. Please find the detailed schedule here.
LOCATION & ACCOMMODATIONS
TEP’s residential module will be hosted at Darden Grounds in Charlottesville, Virginia and our new Darden Sands Family Grounds just outside of Washington, D.C. You will stay on Grounds at the Inn at Darden in Charlottesville, as well as the Hyatt Centric in the Washington, D.C. area. Darden’s facilities include individual accommodations, rooms for discussion groups, a fully equipped exercise room, a recreation area and a casual gathering spot for evening conversations. The Abbott Center Dining Room offers a wide-ranging menu of local and organic cuisine prepared by professionally trained chefs.
Participants will have access to exercise facilities at the Inn at Darden and at the North Grounds Recreation Center, immediately adjacent to the Inn, a multipurpose sports center with racquetball and squash courts, group exercise rooms, swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi and cardiovascular and strength-training machines.
Charlottesville, home of UVA and the Darden School of Business, is a dynamic community offering natural beauty, metropolitan culture and incredible opportunities. It is
- No. 1: Fastest-growing venture capital city in USA (The National Venture Capital Association, 2015–16).
- Best town in USA for food lovers (Rand McNally)
- Top USA wine travel destination (Travel & Leisure)
- Best place to live in the USA (Cities Ranked & Rated )
- No. 3: USA’s happiest city (National Geographic/Gallup)
Get more information
Please fill out the form below to get more information about Darden The Executive Program (DARDEN TEP).